Call for Queer Artists
July 23, 2012
ONE Archives is excited to sponsor INSTALL:WeHo, a pop-up, queer arts festival occurring September 16, 2012 in West Hollywood across from the ONE’s gallery space. INSTALL: WeHo will bring together both established and emerging LGBTQ artists to produce site-specific installations and performances in the back of U-Haul trucks or on the festival’s main stage. INSTALL:WeHo is currently seeking proposals for the event and ONE would like to encourage artists and performers to apply. Find submission details below or download the request for proposals here.
Deadline to apply is August 18, 2012.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
INSTALL: WeHo Request for Proposals
Seeking Visual and Performance Artists to participate in the inaugural INSTALL:WeHo event
DEADLINE TO APPLY: August 18, 2012
INSTALL:WeHo is an interactive exhibition, to be held September 16, 2012, showcasing the curated work of LGBTQ-minded artists in the Greater Los Angeles community. With the support of the City of West Hollywood, ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives, and Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions, this pop-up installation will serve as a forum to bring both established and emerging LGBTQ artists and contributors together. INSTALL:WeHo is an opportunity to share the story, struggles and spirits of the LGBTQ community through a diverse array of mediums and forms.
INSTALL:WeHo will appear overnight as a caravan of U-Haul trucks in the El Tovar parking lot, adjacent to the West Hollywood Library. INSTALL:WeHo will also feature a Main Stage for individual performance artists or performance troupes. Artists and artist organizations are invited to apply for access to a truck or the Main Stage to create unique installations or performances.
This call is open to LGBTQ-minded artists residing in the Greater Los Angeles community.
Artists will be selected based on qualifications, selection criteria and proposal, to participate in the inaugural INSTALL:WeHo event.
The Selection Committee will review proposals and select the artists or artist organizations to participate in the event. The Selection Committee is composed of INSTALL: WeHo founders Mark Cramer, Laura Watts and Alex Blas; David Frantz, Curator of ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives; Rebecca Ansert, Founder and Principal of Green Public Art Consultancy; and Carol Stakenas, Executive Director of Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Artists will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Proven exhibition/performance experience
- Proven artistic merit and strong professional qualifications which demonstrate the artist’s ability to create a unique and meaningful work of art
- Ability to create an artwork that will resonate with the LGBTQ community
- Successful track record of completion of projects on time
- August 18: Proposal submission deadline
- August 2: Selected artists announced
- August 26 – September 5: Installation and performance preparation
- September 16: Deliver U-Haul trucks with artwork to site INSTALL: WeHo 11am-5pm
The following must be received by Saturday, August 18, 2012, 5pm, PST.
- Organization (if applicable)
- Narrative Bio (100 words or less)
- Artist Statement (100 words or less)
Type of proposal (select one): INSTALL:WeHo Main Stage or INSTALL:WeHo Truck
INSTALL:WeHo Truck Proposal:
- Written proposal describing the installation you plan to present (300 words or less)
- Sketch of the proposed installation – Truck Dimensions 9’11” L x 6’2” W x 6’2” H
- Technical Requirements
- Five (5) supporting images of the work to be shown and/or of work that is representative of your practice. Please include Title, Year, Media, Dimensions, and Edition (where applicable) for each image.
INSTALL:WeHo Main Stage Proposal:
- Written proposal describing the performance you plan to present (300 words or less)
- Sketch of stage setup (stage overhead)
- Technical Requirements
- Two (2) short video clips, no more than 5 minutes long each and included as links to YouTube, Vimeo, or your website. Please include a brief description of the performance(s).
Proposals must be submitted as a single file .pdf with your name or the name of your organization in the file name (i.e. FirstNameLastName.pdf or Organization.pdf). Please compress the .pdf to 2MB or less and send via email to email@example.com.
Selected artists will receive a stipend, commensurate with the caliber and complexity of their proposal, to facilitate the realization of their installation or performance.