Nothing else comes closer to the real thing than:
- Same Sex Marriages: A personal perspective [Rabbi Victor Seth Appell]
- Kiddushin: An Interracial Lesbian Wedding [Yael & Luana Silverberg-Willis]
- A Gay Jewish Wedding Sermon
- Commitment Ceremony Home Page [Sharon Silverstein]
- Rabbi Who Married Two Women Yesterday [June 19/97] May Be Dismissed[Shahar Ilan/Ha'aretz]
- Israel rabbi seals lesbian wedding [Michele Gershberg/UPI]
- Two women married by rabbi in Tel Aviv wedding ceremony [Naomi Segal/JTA]
- No wedding bells for Ithaca gay men Bay Windows column
- Landmark Decision: Reform rabbis vote yes on gay civil marriage [A. Engler Anderson/Jewish Exponent]
- Difficult choices for rabbis: Some find ways to sanctify gay and lesbian relationships [Lesley Pearl/Jewish Bulletin]
- Vote for gay weddings symbolic but critical, Reform rabbis assert [Debra Nussbaum Cohen/Jewish Bulletin]
- Reform Rabbis Consider Blessing Gay Marriages [Texas Triangle]
- Rabbi in New York blesses lesbian union of assistant rabbi [Toby Axelrod/Jewish Week]
- Jewish Family Values: Same-sex marriages [The Economist]
- Feminists speak up for nontraditional Jewish families [Sarah Coleman/Jewish Bulletin]
- CCAR: Resolution on Gay and Lesbian Marriage
For additional information on ceremonies, the following books may prove useful:
- Chicks in White Satin [@PlanetOut/QPopcorn listing]
A film by Elaine Holliman [1993, USA, 16mm, 27 minutes, color, English]
Spiced with humor and intelligence, this student Academy Award-nominated film explores the universal themes of parental acceptance and matrimonial love. A lesbian couple are portrayed preparing for their wedding ceremony. Veils, bridal gowns and showers mark the journey joining one bride with another, and each mother and father with their daughters.
Distributed by Holliman Productions, 2247 28th St A, Santa Monica. CA 90402 (310)396-5890.
- For Better or Worse: Same-Sex Marriage
By Elizabeth Vargas for ABC News:Turning Point [1996, USA, video, 45 minutes, color, English]
First broadcasted Thursday, November 7, 1996. This documentary looks at the issue of same-sex marriage by interviewing four same-sex couples who chose to publicly marry. Includes members of the tribe: Sharon Silverstein, Doug Wythe and Andrew Merling. Distributed by ABC News.
- A Ceremonies Sampler: New Rites, Celebrations, and Observances of Jewish Women
Edited by Elizabeth Resnick Levine. ISBN 0-9608054-9-4 (paper)
© 1991. San Diego, CA:Woman's Institute for Continuing Jewish Education.
Lesbian and Gay Marriage: Private Commitments, Public Ceremonies
Edited by Suzanne Sherman. ISBN 0-87722-974-0 (cloth) 0-87722-975-9 (paper)
© 1992. Philadelphia, PA:Temple University Press.
Equal Rites: Lesbian and Gay Worship, Ceremonies, and Celebrations
Edited by Kittredge Cherry and Zalmon Sherwood. ISBN 0-664-25535-3 (paper)
© 1995. Lousiville, KY:Westminster John Knox Press.
Ceremonies of the Heart: Celebrating Lesbian Unions
Edited by Becky Butler. ISBN 0-931188-92-X (paper)
© 1990. Seattle, WA:The Seal Press.